English level B2
At this level you can understand:
- Main ideas of complex text
- Standard spoken language, live or broadcast
- Texts with a broad reading vocabulary and large degree of autonomy
What can you do with a B2 level in English?
A B2 level of English would allow you to function in the workplace in English, and indeed, many non-native English speakers in international workplaces have this level of English. A person working in English at a B2 level will, however, lack nuance particularly outside his own field. He may also miss some of the subtleties and implied meanings in conversation.
According to the official CEFR guidelines, someone at the B2 level in English:
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract
topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction
with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a
viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various
B2 level English skills in detail
The official can-do statements are broken down into smaller pieces for teaching purposes. This more detailed skill breakdown can help you assess your own English level, or help a teacher assess a student’s level. For example, a student at the B2 level in English will be able to do all the things that a student in level B1 can do, and in addition he will be able to:
- Participate in meetings in your area of expertise, if you have help understanding some points.
- Discuss gender issues as they relate to perceptions of rudeness and cultural norms.
- Talk about your personal finances and give advice to friends and colleagues about their finances.
- Talk about your personal and professional lifestyle, including a description of your life at work.
- Explain your education, experience, strengths and weaknesses, and discuss your career path.
- Talk about mental processes and how you can use them to improve your effectiveness on the job.
- Talk about what you like to read and make recommendations about good things to read.
- Use appropriate language in social situations, including praising and expressing sympathy.
- Discuss leadership qualities and talk about leaders whom you admire.
- Deal with relatively complex awkward situations that arise in social and business contexts.
- Discuss common political situations and the behavior of politicians.
Although progress will depend on the type of course and the individual student, students
can expect to reach the B2 level in English with 600 hours of cumulative instruction.
Do you want to get more information about the private classes with Petra?
👉 I WANT TO GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PRIVATE CLASSES
Do you want to consult Petra about your English level?
👉 I WANT TO BOOK THE ONLINE CONSULTATION
Do you want to book your first lesson and start your English journey?
👉 I WANT TO BOOK MY FIRST ONLINE LESSON