English level B1
At this level you can understand:
- Main points on common topics at work, school, or traveling
- General and specific details given clear speech
- Factual texts on subjects of interest
What can you do with a B1 level in English?
A B1 level of English would be sufficient for interactions with English speakers on familiar
topics. In the workplace, people at a B1 level of English are able to read simple reports on
familiar topics and write simple e-mails on subjects in their field. However, a B1 level is not
adequate to function fully in the workplace in English.
According to the official CEFR guidelines, someone at the B1 level in English:
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling
- Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
B1 level English skills in detail
The official can-do statements are broken down into smaller chunks for teaching purposes. This more detailed skill breakdown can help you assess your own English level, or help a teacher assess a student’s level. For example, a student at the B1 level in English will be able to do all the things that a student in level A2 can do, and in addition he will be able to:
- Discuss your personal and professional hopes and dreams for the future.
- Arrange a job interview and interview for a job in your area of expertise.
- Talk about your television viewing habits and favorite programs.
- Describe your education and your plans for future training.
- Talk about your favorite music and music trends and plan a night out to listen to live music.
- Talk about maintaining a healthy lifestyle and give and get advice about healthy habits.
- Talk about relationships and dating, including meeting people through social media.
- Go to a restaurant, order food, engage in polite dinner conversation and pay for your food.
- Participate in negotiations in your area of expertise, if you have help understanding some points.
- Discuss workplace safety issues, report an injury and explain rules and regulations.
- Discuss polite behavior and respond appropriately to impolite behavior.
Although progress will depend on the type of course and the individual student, students
can expect to reach the B1 level in English with 400 hours of cumulative instruction.
Do you want to get more information about the private classes with Petra?
👉 I WANT TO GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PRIVATE CLASSES
Do you want to consult Petra about your English level?
👉 I WANT TO BOOK THE ONLINE CONSULTATION
Do you want to book your first lesson and start your English journey?
👉 I WANT TO BOOK MY FIRST ONLINE LESSON