English Level A1
At this level you can understand:
- Very basic, everyday phrases
- Carefully articulated, slow speech with long pauses
- Very short, simple texts, familiar names and words
What can you do with an A1 level in English?
An A1 level of English would be sufficient for very simple interactions, for example as a tourist in an English-speaking country. An A1 level would not be sufficient for other academic or professional purposes.
According to the official CEFR guidelines, someone at the A1 level in English:
- Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- Can introduce herself/himself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where she/he lives, people she/he knows, and things she/he has.
- Can interact with other people in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
A1 level English skills in detail
The official can-do statements are broken down into smaller chunks for teaching purposes.This more detailed skill breakdown can help you assess your own English level, or help a teacher assess a student’s level.
For example, a student at the A1 level in English will be able to:
- Introduce themselves simply and use basic greetings.
- Tell where they and others are from and give a basic description of their city.
- Talk simply about family and colleagues, describing their appearance and personalities.
- Discuss clothing at a basic level and ask salesclerks simple questions about it.
- Talk about favorite foods and make simple orders for take-out food.
- Talk about daily activities and arrange meetings with friends and colleagues.
- Describe current weather conditions and suggest activities according to the weather forecast.
- Talk in general terms about their health and describe common medical symptoms to a doctor.
- Describe the location of their home and give simple directions.
- Talk about their hobbies and interests and makes plans for fun activities with friends or colleagues.
- Complete basic transactions at a hotel, including checking in and checking out.
- Discuss common products, make basic purchases and return faulty items.
Although progress will depend on the type of course and the individual student, students can expect to reach the A1 level in English with 60 to 80 hours of instruction.
Do you want to get more information about the private classes with Petra?
👉 I WANT TO GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PRIVATE CLASSES
Do you want to consult Petra about your English level?
👉 I WANT TO BOOK THE ONLINE CONSULTATION
Do you want to book your first lesson and start your English journey?
👉 I WANT TO BOOK MY FIRST ONLINE LESSON